Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Apocalypse

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ca. 1497-98
Albrecht Durer
Woodcut

The impending doom of the world is an interesting notion. It's something that has plagued the minds of humans since the beginning of civilization. It is a topic of interest to many people because it is a question that has no answer. It explores the primal nature of human beings as well as our mortality. It has been explored through many different cultures.

With that said, I think it would be interesting to explore these certain ideas in an art lesson unit, there is something to be explored that is open ended, and art can be a way to visually predict the outcomes of our temporal world.

Creating a hybrid animal with my other classmates was exciting, and allowed me to draw inspiration from life but with a fantastical twist.


Sketches for my post-apocalyptic creature

When I created something that was partially from my imagination, I was able to create a backstory for my creature. I also love when art projects coincide with or seem to roll over to other classes. I created the head with an angler fish in mind, which had to do with a super heroes/villains project I completed for my costume design class. Altering ideas and putting them in different contexts helps you grow as an artist!
Detail from my Super Villain project in Costume Design


No comments:

Post a Comment